Friday, September 10, 2010

Final camping tune up done!

We spent another back country camping weekend in the Adirondack High Peaks.
Jan playing with the wind on
Marcy - cold, fast and fun
Earl brought lots of rain so we now know for sure that our tent stays dry and I earned my "cooking in the rain" badge.

We also got in some great hiking. We tackled Mount Marcy with super light day packs making this 16 km hike seem easy. Once we entered the alpine arctic zone, which starts at the tree line, we put on our softshell jackets (what a great invention!); the wind blew with 30 to 50 km/h gusting to 70 km/h. Cold but great for that flying feeling!

As for blisters: I didn't get any on the hike in or when we hiked Marcy. On the hike out on our last day however, both my heels lost some skin (I don't actually get blisters, it's more like the skin gets chewed up and torn off). All that to say, that's progress, but still not ideal or reliable for long trekking excursions. I think a big issue was the added warmth stemming from waterproof hiking boots and gore-tex gaitors. It'll work out fine as long as I can keep my feet drier and cooler as well as liberally using the appropriate first aid materials. (aka time to buy stock in moleskin/second skin manufacturers)

No comments:

Post a Comment